Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church
Non-Exempt Position Description
Children’s Ministry Childcare
Vision Statement for Children’s Ministries
Children’s Ministries of Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church partners with parents in the faith formation and discipleship of their children, serving as a faith family that nurtures, supports and equips children and their families to be life-long disciples who know, love, follow and serve Jesus Christ.
The purpose of this position is to provide developmentally appropriate childcare for children from ages two through fifth grade. Childcare is offered regularly on Sunday mornings and after County restrictions are released on other weekdays. There is an occasional need for special evening events. The person occupying this position must enjoy and have experience working with children in a childcare setting, inspire trust and confidence in one’s caregiving abilities and build rapport with both children and their parents.
- Provide age-appropriate caregiving skills
- Create a warm, welcoming, fun and safe environment for children
- Build relationships and rapport with children and their parents/families
- Implement developmentally appropriate Christian curriculum (Bible lesson,
- Work closely with Interim Director of Children’s Ministry
- Attend on-going trainings, annual evaluation and participate in group clean-up
- Use Signup Genius (online platform) to commit to dates and events to provide
- Regular availability (2+ events/month) and punctual arrival
- Assist to maintain well-supplied childcare facilities (classrooms and songs, games and activities) for child care programs.
Expectation of adherence to the WCPC staff values
- Character- Exercises the fruit of the spirit
- Competency - Possesses skill and passion for the work
- Capacity - Has the integrity to work hard without under/over working
- Chemistry - Gets along with and genuinely loves being around the staff team
- Culture - Recognizes that creating and cultivating healthy staff culture is crucial
Desired Background and Skill Set
- Maintain a life of integrity that reflects Christlikeness
- A supportive team player who can work independently, is self-motivated, is well organized, can assess priorities, and be flexible
- Knowledge of health, safety and welfare practices for children
- Computer proficiency in (but not limited to) Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe InDesign, MailChimp, Sign-up Genius, Planning Center and Shelby (or knowledge of other data processing type software).
- Skilled in caring for infants and young children; ability to relate well to young
- Certified in infant and child CPR; Trained in First-Aid
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely children and their parents, creating an environment of trust and support
- Teachable and open to direction; well organized, abilities to assess priorities, and be flexible
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently
- Ability to initiate contact and play with children
- Effective and efficient with assigned tasks
- Willingness to teach faith-based lessons to children, including Bible stories, and immediate response songs and activities
- High School diploma or equivalent; College degree (completed or in progress) with emphasis in Child Development/ECE Units or experience in the field is desirable.
Works with: Interim Director of Children’s Ministry, volunteers, members of the congregation, other childcare staff
Reports to: Interim Director of Children’s Ministries
Hours: 2 - 10 hours a month until further county restrictions lifted
Schedule: Sundays and other weekdays as county restrictions are lifted
Hire Contingencies: Hire contingent on passing Livescan fingerprinting
COVID-19 reality, sheltering in place notes:
Childcare Coordinator will need to be aware and work within any and all COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines appropriate for church childcare.
WCPC is a member of ECO, a Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)